Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Reporting from Syracuse


A view of the Downtown Syracuse skyline

I'm here in Syracuse for a job interview. Having visited two other cities (Seattle and Atlanta) before here, this place is least favorite of them.

Why?

First, it's not urban enough. Growing up from a highly urbanized environment, I still want to be surrounded by, or at least live very close to, high rising skyscrapers.

And that's not all. Going to a restaurant with a friend of mine, we passed by a neighborhood that's far from your ideal neighbor to live in, or even to drive by (it was the only route she could remember getting there). At first, it wasn't too bad, considering that I have, in fact, drove by worse looking places before. However, while at a stop, we heard a gun shot sound. From a very, very close place. I looked around, and I saw a male running out from a house right next to us, putting something into his pants. As he ran, a woman came out from the house, running after him, and screamed something at him.

What did I do? I stepped on it, of course. We zoomed out of the area as fast as we could. I kept thinking that what we saw wasn't what I think it was, but soon, we heard sirens, fire trucks, and all sorts of vehicles you see whenever someone dials 911 heading towards the direction we came from, and it was apparent that we did hear a gun shot, indeed, and we were really close to it. I don't know if I should've stayed there or went back there as a witness or something, but what I do know is that I was lucky, and I am still in one piece.

Now, after this experience, will I accep their offer in case they extend one? I'm not sure. It will depend on how good of a package they'll offer me. :)

No comments: