Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's All About Skills

Here is a list of required/desired skills a game development company is looking for at this time. This list is for a Software Tool Developer position at one of the better known studios.

I post it up here as a reminder to myself how much work I really have. Working at a stable job, it's easy to forget what is out there, and how far behind I actually am. As this listing shows, I truly worth nothing.

I've got a loooong way to go, and I better get my act straight and start pushing myself forward towards my dream job...

Requirements/Skills

  • EXCELLENT MATH SKILLS
  • 3-5 years of professional games experience
  • C++, C#, and C++/CLI expertise
  • Experience in creating the following PC applications: level editor (actor
    placement, navigation meshes, particles, boundary regions, etc), art prototype
    catalogue/database, animation/cinematic editor, material/shader editor, plugins,
    build tools, data messaging tools, lighting tools
  • Experience using the following technologies: Maya Plug-in API, SQL, OpenGL,
    CG/HLSL
    Ability to design, author, and maintain complex tools used in
    different parts of the production pipeline

Bonus Skills

  • Experience using DCC applications (3DStudio/Maya/Photoshop/XSI/...)
  • Knowledge of scripting languages (Python/MelScript/Lua/VBScript.)
  • GUI art/design skills

No comments: